Re: [cf-satellite] Proposal for handling multiple "missing_value" values

On 7/15/2011 2:09 PM, Russ Rew wrote:
If "this suggestion" means extending missing_value to permit multiple
values, then the only change it makes is changing a one-to-one mapping
into a one-to-many mapping.  Since my example of breaking ncdump/ncgen
backward compatibility doesn't apply to the "missing_value" attribute,
that may be harmless, unless there is other existing software that
depends on "missing_value" having a single value.  So I withdraw my
confused objection to using "missing_value".

i think that missing_value attribute has always been a vector, the CDM treats it that way:

from http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf/Attribute-Conventions.html:

"The missing_value attribute can be a scalar or vector containing values indicating missing data".

CF Appendix A says:

"A value used to represent missing or undefined data (deprecated by the NUG)"

Is there some other place that says it cannot be a vector?

(BTW, we should remove "(deprecated by the NUG)", apparently missed that in ticket 58. i will submit defect ticket)