Re: [bufrtables] BUFR and GRIB2 table information in relational DB?

NOTE: The bufrtables mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Dear Jeff,

CMC is working on putting its BUFR tables into a relational database. Our main
goal is relatively modest: it is to provide a web-based human interface to
browse and update the Tables, to replace the error-prone process of manually
updating a large ASCII file. But we are mindful of other possible advantages
such as improved programming interface.

We have a working prototype of a Table B interface. It is composed of a PHP
front-end and MySQL back-end. We can enter new descriptors, change their status
(validation, pre-operational, operational), even change descriptor definition
while maintaining traceability and descriptor history across Table version
numbers.  We want to be able to ingest directly WMO computer-friendly Table
updates, verify them and accept them into our operational system. Furthermore
we want to be able to publish Tables in backward-compatible ASCII formats.

Development has been slow, due to other projects competing for the resources,
but it is progressing. Our next step would be to develop a similar interface
for Table D.  We also need to integrate code and flag tables that are referred
to by Table B descriptors.

We can talk about this more, off-line, if you wish.

Best regards

Yves