Re: [bufrtables] BUFR and GRIB2 table information in relational DB?

NOTE: The bufrtables mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Dear Enrico,

Looks great.  Some quick thoughts:

(1) PROGRAMMERS' INTERFACE

The web you mentioned is good for end-user browsing, while Jeff (and
me) also wants programmer-friendly data source.  I guess such users
are suggested to download grib_api package (such as following URL).
Did you perhaps have other interface?

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/data/software/download/software_files/grib_api-1.9.9.tar.gz

(2) UPDATE POLICY

The latest grib_api is dated March 22, 2011.  But it includes the last
fast track which got in force on May 4.  It looks like you have
practical update policy that incorporates any decided feature before
becoming operational.  In other words, it is very useful for decoder
software, while additional care is necessary for validation software
or documentation of operational feature.

Colleagues in IPET-MDI should know Atsushi at the WMO Secretariat is
also working on computer-readable table.
http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/WMOCodes/WMO306_vI2/2010edition/latestTables.zip
This should contain only operational entries.

(3) STRUCTURE

Many people have many tools.  Maybe perhaps somebody has more request
than your database.  But I have to reserve any comment until I see
your xml export.

Best,
--
Eiji (aka Eizi) TOYODA