Re: [bufrtables] Edition 2 docs

NOTE: The bufrtables mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

My colleague Robb Kambic found this description of BUFR edition 2:

 http://dss.ucar.edu/docs/formats/bufr/bufr.pdf

Which has a very useful section 6 by John Stackpoole "Quirks, Advanced Features, and
Special Uses of BUFR" including Section 6.3.1, which has:

 "Changes to the Tables which involve only additions do not require that the Version
number of the Tables be changed."

which might be read to imply that when version numbers change, incompatible
changes might be introduced. But that doesnt seem to be stated anywhere.

John Caron wrote:
Hello all:

Can anyone point us to a description of BUFR edition 2? We realized that the
docs we have only cover edition 3/4, and there may be some differences we dont
know about.

thanks.