Re: [bufrtables] More on table versions

NOTE: The bufrtables mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Dear Jeff,

Milan has covered this topic in detail, so I can hardly add anything useful to it. I can only confirm that our current practice of deprecating
descriptors leads to carelessness in specification of the table versions.
Using only one set of tables may lead to producing a BUFR message
containing descriptors that were introduced with higher version than
it is indicated in the message. Or to processing of the data without taking
into account the version number in the message.

The current practice is not based on BUFR regulations, as Milan indicated. I think that it would have to be changed sooner or later, so better sooner
than later.

With best regards,
Eva