Re: [awips2-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Python

Hi folks,

I have never understood why the Cave client needs to change the default
behavior of the system.  This is probably okay in a NOAA workplace setting, but
this is not acceptable/possible in our classroom and laboratory environment.

This has been a huge issue with trying to install this program on ~100
computers.  Why doesn’t the program installation put these startup files under
the installation path?  It seems unreasonable to force the system python to be
the one that is owned and configured under the awips2 installation.

We thought the solution was to use the Windows version of Cave, but now we know
that it does not come with a Python environment.  The client requires a very
specific set of 3rd party packages (C++ and Java SDK with specific releases) to
be installed to get any meaningful functionality beyond satellite and radar
imagery.  Items as basic as station model plots or “derived model products”
which apparently includes things like wind speed, which is only marginally
derived other than coming from the U and V components.

This leaves us with two choices for adopting this tool where neither works
without a significant effort to manage things on our end.

Is it possible to have the Linux client on an NFS mounted device?  That way we
might be able to try the suggested method of modifying the startup script.  If
this is the suggestion for a solution, why not just adopt that as the default?

On a related note, has anyone been able to get Cave to work through SSH tunnels
to talk to an EDEX server behind a firewall?  I tried and got a message about
an authentication error, but we don’t knowingly authenticate.

Sorry for the rant, but these are very frustrating problems to face with a
part-time position to support the classroom infrastructure.

Cheers,
Chris Herbster
--

Dr. Christopher G. Herbster