Re: [awips2-users] AWIPS2 Thin Client

* Local caching of maps and data is in use.

AWIPS2 always did some caching of this data but one of the thin client features
was the optional removal (or short-circuiting) of the “does the server have a
newer version” check/response  (i.e., eliminate one potential round trip query
per fetch.)   Removing round-trips was important for decent performance via
satellite links.

* There is no need for a proxy server, as httpd-pypies uses compression by
default on the EDEX machine.

Does the current Unidata version of the EDEX thrift server support compression
as well?  Is the client compressing the request packets sent to EDEX/Pypies?
FYI, the other use case of the proxy configuration was to work in restricted
networks that don’t allow unusual ports to be open except dynamically to
accommodate normal web browsing (i.e. incident meteorologist who might be setup
in a hotel or school  or even using airplane wifi!  ).

* Unidata CAVE runs alertviz on start, the same as non-thin client mode.

Whether you could run CAVE with both ‘-alertviz’ and ‘-component thinclient’
options variously worked or broke over many different releases.  Sometimes it
even varied between Windows and Linux builds in the same release, so last I
heard the combination was not officially supported.

The question is if the Unidata build supports those few extra features of
thin_client mode that eke out that last little bit of network performance
(thrift compression, “use cache only” options,  don’t connect JMS, etc)  and if
they are worth supporting.

> let me remind folks that Unidata does not support NWS AWIPS II, so if you
> download the NWS Windows client and have trouble connecting to a Unidata EDEX
> server, you're on your own :)

NWS CAVE to Unidata EDEX and vice-versa has never worked for me.  Now that
Unidata has a MacOS client,  there is not yet a common EDEX that can serve all
of Linux, MacOS, Windows.

--
Erik