Re: [awips2-users] Unidata AWIPS II 14.2.1 status update

Hi Rob,

I hope you don't mind me sharing your question with the list.

On 05/12/2014 11:19 AM, Rob Dale wrote:
Thanks for the update... Quick question - since the NCEP AWIPS2 is now open to all (thanks to a FOIA request) why is there still a restriction on the Unidata AWIPS?

For the sake of clarification, NWS, not NCEP, delivers AWIPS II via collaborate2.nws.noaa.gov.

Why keep the beta private: There is a fear that releasing a beta publicly will inundate Unidata will support requests from non-academic/research organizations. The official release will be available to the public, but direct support limited to the edu/research community.

But I will gather thoughts on public vs. private availability for the beta (separate from support) at the upcoming Strategic Advisory Committee.

Michael James
Unidata

  • Search the awips2-users archives: