[awips2-users] CAVE in a classroom environment?

Hi,

I'm new to the AWIPS II jihad so I beg tolerance for the infidel.

Is there a model for the CAVE client implementation in the teaching environment
such as a 20+ computer lab?

For example, an existing computer lab may not be equipped with suitable OS
and/or RAM for the AWIPS client.  But as an X-11 display based tool, can the
CAVE environment be X-11 port-forwarded to a remote desktop X-11 emulator from
a suitable client host?  Could that host in fact be a 64-bit CentOS VM with
remote login facility? Could a 'bank' of such VM's of suitable RAM resource
serve as hosts to multiple computer lab desktops?

We may have an opportunity for a gift of used but well endowed data center
compute nodes … the mind reels.

So I'm wondering if we can acquire CAVE classroom implementation while
minimizing the expense of upgrades to existing lab resources.

-Neil
---
Neil Smith  neils@xxxxxxxx   979.845.6272
Senior IT Professional, Atmospheric Sciences, TAMU

  • Search the awips2-users archives: