Progress to Date
(illustrated with demos)
- Image Viewer (IV)
- Interactive Sounding Application
- Gridded Data Viewer (GDV)
- Earlier Surface Obs Viewer
components and lessons are embedded in the above Viewers.
Advances in underlying fundamentals:
- The above prototypes deal with
important, difficult problems, including:
- image navigation (IV)
- multiple projections
- thermodynamic coordinate
transforms (ISA, GDV)
- interactive selection
& manipulation of data points (ISA, GDV)
- direct access to remote
data servers (IV, ISA, soon GDV)
- interactive selection
of input data (all)
- interactive cross-sectioning
- color-table manipulation
- direct value readout
(ISA, GDV, soon IV)
- 3D rendering (all)
- highly connected component
networks (ISA, GDV)
- zoom & pan (all)
- animation (IV, GDV)
- Prototypes embody key discipline-
& data-independent abstractions.
Centralized discussion area
Historical record of transactions
Combines documentation and use cases
Australian Bureau of Meteorology (wind components, ADDE data access, data abstractions)
SSEC (VisAD, ADDE access, data abstractions)
NCAR - ATD/RAP (radar displays), CGD (GDV)
Suitability of the chosen infrastructure
- Java is adequate & getting
- Java (esp Java3D) is not yet
as portable as hoped.
- VisAD is viable & has powerful
data & display models.
- VisAD is difficult to learn
& needs improved documentation.
- Java Beans are useful largely
for internal development at this stage.
Effectiveness of the process
- User-centered design is suitable
- Task force input is sporadic
& requires seeding.
- We understand better the kinds
of communication required.
- Extensive user involvement
is unrealistic until MetApps are really useful (e.g., satisfies a use case).
- The "Planning Game"
method (Extreme Programming) can be effective.
- Development is resource intensive
& many of the tasks are hard.
- Collaboration takes effort
and resources but can have benefits
- Other Unidata matters (LDM/IDD,
e.g.) often distract from MetApps.
- We have not agreed on a data
model, & the problem is very hard.
- DODS and enhanced ADDE access
for MetApps, VisAD
- Radar data viewer (in collaboration
with ATD/RAP/TF and ?)
- Initial design of integrated
- Framework for derived quantities
- Explore mechanisms for broad
community input on prototype and component development
- One or two integrated applications
with broad functionality similar to, but not replacing, GEMPAK & McIDAS
(Data-type extensibility more important than feature matching)
- Component architecture, as
- A few applets for users to
embed in education materials
- Broad data-access & data-discovery
landscape, linked to DLESE
- Architecture & framework
for user authoring & assembly
- Data & metadata models
that support the above