Status Report: September 2013
Strategic Focus Areas
The GEMPAK group's work supports the following Unidata funding proposal focus areas:
- Advancing data services
Unidata GEMPAK continues to see regular releases (approx. 2 per year) to stay current with the latest data types. Recently new functionality was added for the decoding of international grids and display of scatterometer products.
- Developing and deploying useful tools
GEMPAK/NAWIPS is being sunset and the release of GEMPAK7 will see it incorporated into AWIPS II systems at NCEP centers as an Add-On.
- Enhancing user support services
Unidata maintains a support ticket address for GEMPAK/NAWIPS and the gempak mailing list gembud continues to be a useful resource for users.
- Providing leadership in cyberinfrastructure
As NAWIPS/GEMPAK transitions to GEMPAK7 for incorporation into AWIPS II, Unidata is preparing for a the first non-operational, public release of AWIPS II with GEMPAK included.
Activities Since the Last Status Report
GEMPAK 6.10 Release
- 6.10 source code (github) and 3 binary packages released
- New support for international grid decoding by dcgrib2
- Updated 1:1 92-color map for high-res NEXRAD reflectivity.
- Updated table support for international grids and scatterometer BUFR files
- Currently pulling ASCATD and OSCAT_HI from Waldenio at INPE via LDM
- I have Jeff Weber's help with supporting NESDIS and JPL offices installing LDM to push 1-km global SST and Ocean Wind Vectors and Significant Wave Heights to Unidata for re-distribution.
We plan to continue the following activies:
- Supporting GEMPAK/NAWIPS until the AWIPS II CAVE client is determined to be a suitable replacement for our community.
- Maintaining GEMPAK source code and table updates.
- Offering yearly GEMPAK workshops at the UPC
We plan to organize or take part in the following:
- Take part in 3rd Workshop on Ocean Forecasting at the Ministry of Earth Science, Hyderabad, India, some time in 2014
- Provide high-resolution national radar composites over the IDD.
- Further support for scatterometer SWH and OWV and global SST fields.