Linda Miller, External Liaison
February - May 2004
Work referenced within this report is based on advocacy, community outreach, and identifying new data sources and distribution trends within the community, associated with "Endeavor 1: Responding to a broader and more diverse community" and "Endeavor 2: Comprehensive Support Services, [Data services, systems, and tools]" from the Unidata 2008 Proposal. There is overlap of external activities in the areas of "Real-time, self-managing data flows" (Endeavor 3), Endeavor 4: Software to analyze and visualize geoscience data", along with "Distributed, organized collections of digital material" (Endeavor 5), and "Improved data access infrastructure" (Endeavor 6).
Coordinated Unidata seminars. The seminars are a mix of Unidata staff presentations, and other important activities taking place at UCAR/NCAR and other external activities important to Unidata.
- A technical overview of the Abstract Data Distribution Environment (ADDE) by Don Murray, 13 May 2004
- MeteoForum - An International Network of Meteorological Training Centers for the 21st Century
by Tom Yoksas and Tim Spangler, 6 April 2004
Continued planning as co-chair of AMS/Interactive Information and Processing Systems (IIPS) for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology. The main theme of the January 2005 meeting is "Building the Earth Information System," with sub-themes of "Living with a Limited Water Supply" and "Living in the Coastal Zone." IIPS is planning three joint sessions with:
- Education Symposium entitled, "Cyberinfrastructure to Support Atmospheric and Oceanic Education: Examples and Strategies"
- Global Change and Climate Variations Symposium entitled, "Distributed Earth Science Information Systems"
- Symposium on Integrated Observing and Assimilation Systems for Atmosphere, Ocean and Land Systems, related to global environmental observing systems and the global climate observing system
Other sessions include:
- Internet Applications, Web Portals, and Cyberinfrastructure
- GIS Applications
- Radar IIPS and Applications
- Applications in Meteorology, Oceanography, Hydrology and Climatology, GIS applications
- AWIPS and related systems and applications
- Advances and Applications in Transportation Weather
- IIPS and Numerical Weather Prediction
- Global Meteorological and Hydrological Service Updates
- European and other International Applications
- Satellite IIPS and Applications including Satellite Ocean Remote Sensing
American Geophysical Union (AGU) - planning
Submitted a proposal for a Union session to be included for the Fall Annual
Meeting of the AGU in San Francisco. The proposed session is entitled, "The
Water Cycle and Societal Impacts: Integrated Cyberinfrastructure for Observations
and Forecasts." Several co-convenors have been lined up for the session
including: Peter Cornillon, University of Rhode Island; Ben Domenico, Unidata;
Steve Hankin, PMEL; Anton Krueger, University of Iowa; David Maidment, CUAHSI;
Phil Sharfstein, FNMOC; Olga Wihelmi, NCAR/ESIG
Data Access and Distribution
- Coordination of Call for Participation, with NOAA/NWS, for Level II data distribution. Focal point for the NWS concerning the Level II data distribution effort.
- Developed a news release regarding Level II data distribution.
- Yuan Ho will provide the OPeNDAP status report
- A reduction in the NASA REASoN funding for the DODS/OPeNDAP project has been implemented.
- Participated on the Reorganization Task Force (RTF) for Unidata
- Attended NOAA's Stakeholder Forum, April 16, 2004
External Liaison, Unidata
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research