NOAA is searching for a Physical Scientist to work at the National Weather Service (NWS), Office of Science & Technology Integration (OSTI), Meteorological Development Laboratory (MDL) in Silver Spring, MD.
The Lead Physical Scientist will:
- Develop and implement statistically calibrated objective guidance products from numerical weather prediction models for weather elements contained in public and aviation forecasts for use at Weather Forecast Offices (WFO), River Forecast Centers (RFC), National Centers, and public and private customers to improve weather and environmental forecasts and services.
- Develop and monitor guidance products and geospatial data services and transition scientific techniques to produce interpretive model guidance and to quantify the uncertainty of weather guidance into NWS operations.
- Provide interactive tools and applications to synthesize, display, and manipulate data and guidance from various sources to aid decision assistance and forecast preparation.
- Lead staff in preparation of research and development (R&D) plans and coordination of R&D activities with internal staff and external partners; presentation of research results at meetings/seminars and documentation of results in appropriate publications; and preparation of technical and financial plans.
- Assist the MDL Director in managing the planning and execution of the Lab’s scientific and technical development activities, leads staff in preparation of Lab’s Strategic Plan, Annual Operating Plan, and Quarterly Program Reviews; development and execution of annual Budget and Spend Plans; and planning and execution of Lab’s support services contract.
The application process is open through September 11, 2019.
Full details, including instructions regarding how to apply, are available at the links below. Note that there are two announcements for this position; applicants are allowed to submit applications in both venues.