NOAA is searching for a Director for the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC), located in the National Weather Service (NWS), National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) in College Park, MD.
The EMC improves numerical weather, marine and climate predictions at NCEP through a broad program of research in data assimilation and modeling. In support of the NWS operational forecasting mission, the EMC develops, improves and monitors data assimilation systems and models of the atmosphere, ocean and coupled system, using advanced methods developed internally as well as cooperatively with scientists from universities, NOAA laboratories, other government agencies, the private sector and the international scientific community.
The Director of the EMC:
- Advises the NCEP Director as to the suitability of new products for operational implementation. Publishes research results in various media for widespread dissemination to the world meteorological community.
- Ensures effective interactions between modelers, applications developers, forecasters and users; NCEP and the national university/research community; NCEP and other U.S. Government Agencies; NCEP and the international research community.
- Exercises scientific-administrative management of the NCEP's research and development effort, providing technical and executive leadership on a wide range of subjects in meteorology and oceanography analysis and prediction.
- Advises, coordinates, and integrates EMCs efforts to ensure that they are in harmony with NCEP's operations, policies, and commitments as well as the Federal Plan for meteorology research.
- Assimilates planned changes, long-term trends; guidance requirements, advances in NWP technology automated procedures, and changes in personnel or organizational structure.
- Oversees all proposals by EMC scientists regarding financial support from outside the NWS, for the final clearance of scientific manuscripts for external publication.
- Judges the correctness, significance and practical value of research results and approves their publication and/or adoption concerning EMC matters, or, in conjunction with the Director, NCEP when major changes in the Center's operations are involved.
- Evaluates and promotes the scientific development and progress and methods of individual researchers; recommends personnel for promotion, recognition and training. Promotes the scientific development of NCEP personnel.
- Represents the Director, NCEP, as a member, alternate, or advisor to higher officials on committees, ad-hoc planning and program panels, and other functions of EMC and its national or international role.
The application process is open through June 4, 2018.
Full details, including instructions regarding how to apply, are available at: