Re: 19990301: fortran/control.c won't compile under AIX 4.3

Jim,

In the above message, you wrote:

>  My name is Jim Maus and I am a graduate student at the University of Nevada,
>  Reno.  As part of my project I will be running the USGS software ANNIE on
>  an IBM RS6000 aix4.3 computer.  There  was a difficulty with some of the
>  libraries this program uses.  The USGS  suggested I use the XGKS library from
>  unidata.ucar.edu.  When running the "make" command in the src/fortran
>  subdirectory of XGKS, it appears to create a "control.c" file.  The fortran
>  compilation of "control.fc" does appear successfull.  However, subsequent C
>  compilation of "control.c" fails.  I receive an error message for every line
>  stating that " ^ is not a valid source C character".  First of all I cannot
>  find the character "^" on these lines and so don't understand what is going
> on.
>   Second, I do not understand why this control.c file is being created.
> Please
>  help a frustrated student.  Any help you can give on this matter would be
>  greatly appreciated.  I may be reached at <address@hidden> or
>  <address@hidden> or by phone #775-784-1061.

The file "control.c" contains Fortran-callable GKS control routines
written in C.  It is created from the file "control.fc" by the "fortc"
utility (which is part of the distribution).  This is done because
there is no standard for how Fortran code calls C code. "control.fc"
contains code that is independent of the system's calling conventions;
The "fortc" utility understands Fortran/C calling conventions for most
systems; and the resultant "control.c" contains code that follows the
conventions of the system.

In order to diagnose your problem, I'll need more information.  would you please
do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set your environment variables as before.

    5.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error message
        occurs in the output, then stop and send me the file.

    6.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "make.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the files "make.log" and "configure.log".

--------