[netCDF #XMR-161699]: NetCDF snapshot error: incorrect switch for --flibs in nc-config.in

> Hi again Ed
>
> I see that nc-config.in now has
>

> flibs="-@MOD_FLAG@${libdir} @NC_FLIBS@"
>
> and I presume the MOD_FLAG is the value returned by the configure test that
> prints (for Gfortran)
>

> checking fortran 90 modules inclusion flag... -I
> This gets written to nc-config as
>

> flibs="--I${libdir} ..."
> and nc-config --flibs, when run, prints
>

> --I/usr/local/lib ...
> There's obviously a superfluous hyphen in here, but beyond that there's a
> confusion between module and library locations.
>
> For Gfortran the module files belong with the include files in the include
> directory and the compiler is told where to look for them with the -I option.
> The library files belong in the lib directory and the compiler is told where
> to look for them with the -L option. So on this system I expect "nc-config
> --flibs" to print the same as "nc-config --libs". So we can have
> -I/usr/local/include or -L/usr/local/lib, but never -I/usr/local/lib.
>
> Now, perhaps you're going to tell me there are Fortran compilers that don't
> conform to this pattern and your rewriting of the flibs code is intended to
> handle them. If that's so, perhaps it's time to step back and reconsider this
> thing from scratch.
> Mark
>

> Mark Hadfield          "Kei puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou"
> address@hidden
> NIWA
> NIWA is the trading name of the National Institute of Water & Atmospheric
> Research Ltd.

Howdy Mark!

I think that when I looked into this I decided that separate switches are going
to have to be used for f77 vs. f90.

If so, that will have to wait until 4.2. We are about to release 4.1. If you
want to grab the snapshot and check out our current nc-config, you can tell me
if it works for you.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: XMR-161699