[netCDF #HDM-263372]: netcdf-4.0.1 intalling issue

Hi Dinesh,

> I am trying to install netCDF (4.0.1) under windows xp (sp3) using
> cgywin. I have all the nessary gnu compilers, but when I run
> 'configure' it gets to a point and hangs. The last message I see is
> 'checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler...' and creates
> 'conftest.err' file. This error file will grow as large as my hard
> drive's free space. Once it ran out of free space then gives me
> error messages that no more disk space left to write to the disk. I
> am installing it in the /usr/local folder. I am new to unix/linux
> world. I apologize if I am not completely understand this procedure.

Sorry but we have not seen this problem before and can't reproduce it
here.  The latest information on building netCDF-4 for Windows is
here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4

We will be releasing netCDF-4.1 soon, and you may have more luck with
that, or with the current release candidate availlable from:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.1-rc1.tar.gz

> Would it be possible in the future to have netCDF as a part of the
> package in cygwin installation option???

We don't control what's distributed withhave the resources to maintain
a cygwin package for netCDF, but we test the current source
distribution in a recent cygwin development environment to make sure
it compiles and passes all the test.

I hope this helps ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: HDM-263372