[netCDF #RUF-772159]: group name as const char* in nc_def_grp

> Hi Huaiyu,
>
> > It is to my surprise that, in NetCDF 4, the group name in function
> > nc_def_grp() of the C interface is defined as char* instead of const
> > char*. Will it be changed during the function call?
>
> No, the call does not change the name string.
>
> It is a mistake in the interface that this is not declared to be of type
> "const char*" instead of "char *".  Thank you for making us aware of this
> bug.
>
> Checking the other library interfaces, it appears that there are ten
> other functions that have the same problem, with arguments declared
> "char *" that should actually be "const char *".  I will try to make
> sure these bugs are fixed before the 4.1 release.
>
> This was an important bug, so thanks again for reporting it!

Actually, I counted 13 functions with this mistake. Which reminds me of the
poster from despair.com:
http://www.despair.com/consistency.html

I have checked in changes and everything seems to work fine. Changes will
appear in tonight's snapshot release.

Thanks for pointing this out Huaiyu!

Ed

Ticket ID: RUF-772159