[netCDF #MYN-702465]: extracting netCDF data

Hi Amy,

Sorry it's taken us so long to respond to your question.

> I am very new to netCDF files and have just downloaded a couple of
> NARCCAP temperature and precipitation files. I would like to extract
> timeseries for 4 grid points only for comparison with observed data
> and input to a hydrological model, and I'm wondering what is the
> simplest method of doing thi s. The "Step-by-step instructions for
> converting NetCDF data to plain text " looked appealing, but the
> links for the "pre-built Win32 binary version of the netcdf library"
> and the "pre-built binary" of FAN don't work for me.

We didn't write and don't maintain the page you're referring to:

  http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/data/ascii-howto.html

but it looks like good advice for Windows users.  I just tried the two
links for the Windows library and FAN library for Windows:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.6.1-beta1-win32dll.zip
  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/fan-2.0.3.win32bin.zip

and both resulted in downloaded files on my local system:

  -rw-rw-r--   1 russ     ustaff    320476 Nov 11 09:50 fan-2.0.3.win32bin.zip
  -rw-rw-r--   1 russ     ustaff    331992 Nov 11 09:50
netcdf-3.6.1-beta1-win32dll.zip

so if you can't download these, it may be a firewall problem.  Are you
able to FTP files from other FTP servers?

Though FAN may work for you as described at the NARCCAP web site, it
is no longer maintained by the author who contributed it, and we can't
answer FAN-specific questions.  The ncdump utility may also be useful
for getting data from netCDF files in text form, and we maintain
ncdump.

--Russ

Ticket ID: MYN-702465
Department: Support netCDF