[netCDF #PPR-499757]: How to compile and run sample netCDF programs

Hi,

Your subject line asked how to compile and run sample netCDF
programs, but didn't mention whether you want to use C, Fortran, or
some other programming language.

For C, see the documentation section "1.6 Compiling and Linking with
the NetCDF Library":

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-c.html#Compiling

For Fortran, see the similar section in the Fortran NetCDF Users
Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-f90.html#Compiling-and-Linking-with-the-NetCDF-Library

As an example, assume you want to compile and run the program
simple_xy_wr.c from the downloadable netCDF example programs listed
here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/examples/programs/

If you had netCDF-3 installed in /opt, then you could do it like this
on most Unix platforms:

  $ cc -I/opt/include simple_xy_wr.c -o simple_xy_wr -L/opt/lib -lnetcdf
  $ ./simple_xy_wr
  *** SUCCESS writing example file simple_xy.nc!

If instead you had installed netCDF-4 with OPeNDAP support, you would
need a few more libraries, for which the "nc-config" program would
help:

  $ cc -I/opt/include simple_xy_wr.c -o simple_xy_wr `nc-config --libs`
  $ ./simple_xy_wr
  *** SUCCESS writing example file simple_xy.nc!

You can even use the nc-config program to provide the C flags:

  $ cc `nc-config --cflags` simple_xy_wr.c -o simple_xy_wr `nc-config --libs`

and similarly with Fortran:

  $ f95 `nc-config --fflags` simple_xy_wr.f -o simple_xy_wr `nc-config --flibs`

--Russ

Ticket ID: PPR-499757
Department: Support netCDF