[IDV #DXK-228962]: using GrADS Data System to publish netcdf files failed

Hi Tim,

> Attached please find the .nc file which can be read by IDV2.7, but can not be
> read
> by IDV2.6.

> > Do you think that the NetCDF lib is also needed to be updated? When
> > I used the current version of NetCDF (netcdf-4.0.1.tar.gz - Latest
> > stable release of netCDF as a gzipped tar file.) in GDAL, it can
> > read some netcdf files. But, failed to read that mentioned file
> > (ftp://grid1.cos.gmu.edu/pub/). What's your opinion about this?

I tried running the ncdump utility built from netcdf-4.0.1.tar.gz, (using
"--enable-netcdf-4" in the configure step when building) and it worked OK
on the file you attached.  Maybe when you built netcdf-4.0.1, you just
used all the defaults without specifying "--enable-netcdf-4", in which
case you would not be able to read netCDF-4 files, only netCDF classic
and 64-bit offset files.  The file you attached was a netCDF-4 file.

For more information about the different format variants for netCDF,
see the FAQ section "Formats, Data Models, and Software Releases":

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#formats-and-versions

--Russ

Ticket ID: DXK-228962
Department: Support netCDF