[netCDF #WHZ-253288]: error installing netcdf-4.0.1 in Mac OS X

> I have tried -m32 for CFALGS, but it doesn't help. I send here again
> the log file. I would greatly appreciate if you can have a look at it.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Carles Serrat

From your config.log:

configure:24251: cc -c  -g -O2 conftest.c
conftest.c: In function 'sub_':
conftest.c:4: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
'exit'
configure:24254: $? = 0
configure:24257: ifort -g -c conftestf.f
configure:24260: $? = 0
configure:24263: ifort -o conftest -g  conftestf.o conftest.o
ipo: warning #11009: file format not recognized for conftest.o
ld warning: in conftest.o, file is not of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
  "_sub_", referenced from:
      _MAIN__ in conftestf.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
configure:24266: $? = 1
configure:24289: error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o

The problem is that the file produced by cc is "not of required architecture"
according to ifort. Use the "file" command to learn more.

Try using icc, the C compiler that ships with ifort. It will produce files in
the way that ifort wants them.

Since another part of the config file tells me that you are using gcc 4.0.1 I
believe the -m32 option should also work for you. You must set it in CPPFLAGS,
and then rerun configure and make. (Do a "make distclean" first.)

The way to read the config file is to go right to the bottom of the file and
page up. At the very bottom of the file are lists of the environment variables
that are set, but just above that are the lines of output that configure was
running. The last set of tests are the ones that caused the problems.

All kinds of failures are recorded in the config.log file, but only the one at
the very bottom matter.

This release is known to work with ifort and gcc, also ifort and icc.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: WHZ-253288
Department: Support netCDF