[netCDF #MOV-452605]: [netcdfgroup] netcdf file size limit

Hi Xia,

> I am using Intel(R) Fortran Compiler Integration for Microsoft Visual
> Studio 2008, version 10.1.4159.2008 and netcdf3.6.2 on PC,my OS is vista
> business sp1,the max size of a netcdf file is 2G, is there any new version
> netcdf slove this limit?

Yes, and more information about netCDF size limits is available in these
questions and answers about large netCDF files:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Large%20File%20Support

It is even possible to create netCDF files much larger than 2GB, if you
follow the restrictions on the structure for such files, as explained
here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf/NetCDF-Classic-Format-Limitations.html

or it you use the "64-bit offset" format for your netCDF files, which removes
many of the size limitations of netCDF "classic format" files.

If you decide that even the classic limitations on file size (such as 4 GB
variables)
are too restrictive, you can use netCDF 4.0.1, available for Windows platforms
as
explained here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4

--Russ