[netCDF #KWS-658773]: netCDF with C# support?

Hi Frank,

> Is there planned C# support?

We currently have no plans to create and maintain a C# API for netCDF.

> Any known groups working this issue?

Yes, there have been some third-party efforts.  For example,you can
check out this project that provides a netCDF library for .NET:

  http://netcdf.codeplex.com/

as well as an example of a way to create a netCDF file from C#:

  http://netcdf.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=12833

As you probably know, you can use a netCDF DLL directly from C#, and we
do make DLLs for netCDF available, as discussed in this FAQ:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4

I've also heard of tools such as JLCA (Java Language Conversion
Assistant) or Sharpen, an open source Java to C# converter.  You
could try using these to convert the netCDF Java library to something
you could use from C#.

> When using C# what would be the best path ... C++ library with a C#
> wrapper?

The current C++ library is limited, because it only supports the classic
data model, doesn't make good use of namespaces, exceptions, or
templates, and is not being actively maintained.

There is an experimental cxx4 library but it still needs work.

We have no C# expertise here, so can't help much with guidance about
the best approach ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: KWS-658773
Department: Support netCDF