[netCDF #QUC-732401]: question on netcdf

Rama,

> ... Just to make myself more sure that I understood what you
> mentioned, I have the following question. I am not sure which
> FORTRAN compiler was used when the netCDF library was installed.

If it was installed recently, a command named "nc-config" was also
installed at the same time, and running the command

  nc-config --fc

would tell you which Fortran compiler was used.  However, if the
"nc-config" command is not found, then I don't know any way to
determine which compiler created the installed Fortran module file.

> However, by re-building, do you mean that I delete the current
> netCDF library and re-install the netCDF library by downloading the
> source files from your site ?

Yes, or you could also install one of our binary (compiled) versions
from

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/binaries.html

but we only support a limited set of operating systems and Fortran
compiler combinations.

Or you could get a binary (compiled) version from a package management
system, such as a "yum", "rpm", "dpkg", "deb" netCDF package for Linux
systems, a "fink" netCDF package for Mac OS X, etc.  We don't keep
track of which package systems have pre-compiled netCDF software for
various Fortran compilers and operating systems.  For that you'd have
to use Google.

> Also one more question, which version of netCDF I should install in
> that case ?  (I see several versions on the web).

It depends on what you need to use it for.  We have just added some
questions and answers about versions of the software to our FAQ.  You
could start with:

  Should I get netCDF-3 or netCDF-4?
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#fv4

The latest released version is netCDF-4.0.1, which may be more easily
installed than earlier versions, as it has been tested on more
platforms.

--Russ

Ticket ID: QUC-732401
Department: Support netCDF