[netCDF #GGJ-180191]: c interface ncredef destroys netcdf character of file

Hi Rita,

I've tried to duplicate the problem you report using several
versions of the netCDF library (3.5.0, 3.6.3, 4.0.1, and the
current snapshot).  In each case, the netCDF file is not changed
and both ncdump and the newly compiled testnetcdf program
recognize the file as a netCDF file and behave as expected.

I can't explain how the behavior you are seeing could occur, unless
you are using a version of the library before 3.5.0 that had a bug
in it that I can't remember ever being reported.

Do you still have the source from which your netCDF library was built?
If so, could you send us some dates in the header comments from files
in the libsrc directory such as netcdf.h that might help us identify
the version?

Otherwise I can only recommend that you get a current source distribution
of netCDF and build the library from source.  The latest release version
is 4.0.1, available from the netCDF home page:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/

and it will build a netCDF-3 library by default that is compatible with
all previous formats and programming interfaces.

--Russ

Ticket ID: GGJ-180191
Department: Support netCDF