[netCDF #QPT-362589]: Problem in compiling NetCDF 3.6.3 with Fortran

> Dear gentlemen,
>
> I have downloaded netcdf.tar.gz from your website but unfortunatelly I
> haven't been able to configure it as I keep getting the following
> message no matter which option I pass on configure:
>
> [root@env1 netcdf-3.6.3]# ./configure
> configure: netCDF 3.6.3
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... gawk
> configure: checking user options
> checking whether CXX is set to ''... no
> checking whether FC is set to ''... no
> checking whether F90 is set to ''... no
> checking whether this is a netCDF-4.x build... no
> checking whether netCDF extra tests should be run (developers only)... no
> checking whether documentation is to be installed... no
> checking whether Fortran compiler(s) should be tested during
> configure... yes
> checking whether configure should try to set compiler flags... yes
> checking whether FFIO will be used... no
> checking whether to skip C++, F77, or F90 APIs if compiler is broken... yes
> checking whether only the C library is desired... no
> checking whether examples should be built... yes
> checking whether F77 API is desired... yes
> checking whether F90 API is desired... yes
> checking whether fortran type sizes should be checked... yes
> checking whether C API is desired... yes
> checking where to get netCDF C-only library for separate fortran
> libraries...
> checking whether CXX API is desired... yes
> checking whether v2 netCDF API should be built... yes
> checking whether the ncgen/ncdump should be built... yes
> checking whether large file (> 2GB) tests should be run... no
> checking whether benchmaks should be run (experimental)... no
> checking whether extreme numbers should be used in tests... yes
> checking where to put large temp files if large file tests are run... .
> checking whether a win32 DLL is desired... no
> checking whether separate fortran libs are desired... no
> configure: finding C compiler
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for cc... cc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
> checking for cc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
> checking dependency style of cc... gcc3
> checking whether cc understands -c and -o together... yes
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> configure: finding Fortran compiler (will not be used if Fortran API is
> not desired)
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
> checking whether ifort accepts -g... no
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
> checking whether ifort accepts -g... no
> configure: setting up Fortran 90
> checking for Fortran flag to compile .f90 files... unknown
> configure: error: Fortran could not compile .f90 files
>

> I have also set up the following in my /etc/profile:

> [...]

Howdy Dimitra!

Since you are building with the intel compiler, you will want to read their web
page on building netCDF with ifort:
http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/sb/CS-027812.htm

But the problem you are having may be even more basic than incorrect flag
setting. Take a look at the config.log file that was generated when you ran the
configure script. Search for "Fortran could not compile .f90 files" and you
will see the error messages that the ifort compiler is giving. (You can also
just try to compile from the command line. Does it work?)

Basically the netCDF configure program is telling you that your fortran
compiler is not working. Until it is, the netCDF fortran APIs and tests won't
be built.

Please let me know if you can't get this working.

Thanks,

Ed

PS - You may wish to upgrade to the 4.0.1 release, but it will not affect your
current fortran problem.

Ticket ID: QPT-362589
Department: Support netCDF