[netCDF #YQI-531762]: Problem compiling with Lahey/Fujitsu compiler

> Not being a Linux guru, life being too short and all that, I'm not
> 100% certain how to proceed.  I believe I've found the comparable
> location on my Linux CENTOS box for the approrpriate gcc libraries:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.3.4
>
> in which I find libstdc++.a, libstdc++.so, and libsupc++.a - are these
> the libraries I should be trying to link to?

No, I don't think so. Try and find libgcc.a...

> If so, I'm not sure where I go from here.  Do I redo the make of the
> netCDF library with these flags set, or do I use these flag settings
> when I build a program using the netCDF library?

Do a "make distclean" to start fresh.

Then set compiler flags in CFLAGS (for C), FFLAGS (for F77), FCFLAGS (for f90),
and CXXFLAGS (for C++).

So to try this with the C compiler, set CFLAGS=-L/someplace/lib and LIBS=-lgcc,
then rerun the netCDF configure and make.

> As a side note, if this is a problem for anyone who is trying to use
> netCDF Fortran bindings on modern *nix systems, I strongly suggest
> that the netCDF website help section provide a bit more info on this.

It's not common at all. In fact, it hardly ever happens. I think the problem
has to do with how the compiler itself is installed, but I don't really know
why it happens.

> Even better, find a clear solution to the problem.  I have become
> frustrated enough trying to sort this out that if I didn't have to
> deal with netCDF files from other people I would drop the use of
> netCDF altogether.
>
> Jim

Well, sorry to hear that Jim, but ultimately this is a problem with your
compiler, not with netcdf, unless I am mistaken (and I may be).

I have tried to solve this, but have gotten nowhere, However netcdf is known to
build without problems on many platforms, and a complete list of tested
platforms for the 4.0.1 release can be found here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/4_0_1/index.jsp

Build problems usually occur with proprietary fortran compilers, and in the
past year we have added Intel and PGI compilers to our daily testing, but it is
hard for us to support every commercial compiler, and I don't have a Lahey
license to test on. So I don't know if this is a general Lahey problem or
not...

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: YQI-531762