[netCDF #MSV-188900]: C++ API for NETCDF version 4.0

Lynton,

> I have now built my own personal version of netcdf with cxx4. There is
> an issue with the "make check" in that tsts_ncgen4.sh cannot be located.
> John Storrs tells me that this has been fixed post-release of the latest
> version of netcdf and he will let me know the fix.
> The main issue is that development is very slow for me at the moment.
> For each modification of the library routines (in cxx4) I am do a "make"
> followed by a "make install". This is slow as there are lots of files
> compiled (eg fortran) that I am not interested in plus the documentation
> etc.
> Is there a better way of doing code development that you are following?

Yes, when you run the configure script to rebuild the Makefiles, specify
no Fortran or utilities are to be built and tested, which speeds things
up quite a bit:

  ./configure --disable-cxx --enable-netcdf-4 --disable-fortran-compiler-check \
              --disable-f77 --disable-utilities ...

Also, you should be able to just run "make check" in the cxx4 directory,
once you have built the library once with a "./configure ... ; make check"
step.

--Russ

Ticket ID: MSV-188900
Department: Support netCDF