[netCDF #GPW-249255]: used pre-build binary, do I need to install hdf5

Hi Yolande,

> 1) will I run into trouble if I try to use gcc to compile a code and
> link to the netcdf libraries that were compiled using cc?

The cc compiler used to compile this netcdf library was actually just a link to
/Developer/user/bin/gcc-4.0, so as long as you are using the gcc in the
Developer
tools directory on MacOS X, there should be no problem.

> 2) do I still need to download the hdf5 and zlib libraries to get the
> large file support? is that the only thing these libraries are used
> for? I don't see them in the lib directory for the binary distribution.

Yes, the netCDF-4.0 binary for MacOS X still needs the hdf5 and zlib libraries
for any netCDF-4 features, including support for fixed-size variables
larger than 4 GiB.  However, the netCDF-3 library has large-file support,
in the sense that it can be used to read and write large files with some
restrictions, such as that no fixed-size variable can exceed 4 GiB in size
(but a netCDF-3 file may have a large number of such variables, as well as
record variables that exceed 4 GiB in size.  For details on the restrictions,
see the Large File System section of the netCDF FAQ:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Large%20File%20Support

I see we don't seem to have the hdf5 and zlib libraries for MacOS X
available for download, so if you still need those, I guess you would have
to download them from the HDF Group site or build them from source.  I
just checked the Mac HDF5 library I have access to, and trying to link
with it is giving a ld warning that the library is not of the required
architecture, so unfortunately I can't just make that one available.

--Russ

Ticket ID: GPW-249255
Department: Support netCDF