[netCDF #OYQ-545004]: build problem netcdf-4.0-snapshot2008090210

> Hi Ed,
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
> The thread about this error message is almost two years old.
> And so the solution you suggest requires having
> gcc 4.1.1, almost ancient compared to the 4.3.x on my system.
> I do not see how this solution would work on my system without
> downgrading gcc, which is not a sustainable option for me.
> I already have too many compiler versions to keep track of :)
>
> It appears to me that some netcdf dependency,
> perhaps associated with g95 (which I obtain in binary
> format and so have little control over)
> was built to depend an older GCC C++ library than I have.
> I'd be surprised (but interested) to learn if anyone
> has successfully built netcdf with g95 and gcc 4.3.x.
>
> Looks like I have to choose to pester g95 people or
> switch to gfortran (which is very buggy).
>
> Charlie
>
> Unidata netCDF Support a crit :
> >> Hi Ed,
> >>
> >> Thanks for checking back with me.
> >> Today's snapshot does not build for me.
> >> The symptoms have not changed since last time.
> >>
> >> make check dies with
> >>
> >> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to
> >> `_Unwind_GetIPInfo@GCC_4.2.0'
> >> This seems like a g95 fortran related problem.
> >
> > Howdy Charlie!
> >
> > I'm returning to this problem after a long hiatus, and the first thing I
did was to google your error message, and the first result tells me that this
is a problem with your version of the GNU C++ compiler, and the fix is to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /opt/gcc-4.1.1/lib.

> > See:
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2007-01/msg02621.html
> >
> > Please let me know if this doesn't solve your remaining problems.
> >
> > (And you probably want to get a recent snapshot too, we recently checked in
a bunch of stuff.)

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ed

No reason to switch away from g95.

In fact I use the following versions for my default builds:

bash-3.2$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.3.0 20080428 (Red Hat 4.3.0-8)
bash-3.2$ g95 --version
G95 (GCC 4.0.3 (g95 0.90!) Jan 22 2007)

This works fine for me.

I think the problem may be because you downloaded a pre-built version of g95.
Perhaps it was pre-built with an older version of gcc than the one you are
using. In that case, the answer would be to build g95 from source, pointing it
at the correct version of gcc.

I believe I built my copy of g95 from source - I usually don't mess with binary
distributions except for those provided through package management systems,
which keep track of these kinds of dependencies automatically.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: OYQ-545004
Department: Support netCDF