[Support #FRX-709060]: Netcdf with 64-bit offset for Windows 32-bit

> Full Name: Erik Abenius
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 3.6.2 or later
> Operating System: Windows 32-bit and x64 editions
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hello,
>
> We're using netcdf for our software which is available in 32- and 64-bit
versions for both Linux and Windows. We build static netcdf libraries from
source using Intel Fortran 9.1/gcc/gnu make under Linux and Intel Fortran
9.1/Intel C++/nmake under Windows. Our main code is fortran 90 and we use
netcdf modules.

> Our Linux version currently use netcdf 3.6.2 and we will probably move to 4.0
soon.

> For our 32- and 64-bit Windows versions we use netcdf 3.5.1 since we have
failed to build any later version. We have now come to a point where it is
critical to move to a netcdf version supporting 64-bit offset in Windows.
Preferrably we would like to use netcdf 3.6.2 or 4.0. However, so far I have
had no luck in building these libraries.

> We have tried with cygwin but without luck, the configure script fails and I
have not been able to get ifort to work correctly under windows. One of the
problems seems to be that object files are named .obj instead of .o.

> What is the recommended way of building netcdf 3.6.2 or later for Windows 32-
and 64-bit? I've made extensive searches on the web but the only success story
I've found for Windows building is for netcdf 3.5.1.

> Can you give me any pointers? Have you yourself or anyone you know of built
64-bit windows libraries for a recent version of netcdf? In that case which
compilers and build environment did they use?

> Greatful for any help.
>
> Best regards,
> Erik.

Howdy Erik!

Get the snapshot distribution of netCDF and unpack it. Then go into the
win32/NET directory of the distribution, and open the solution file
netcdf.sln.

This will allow you to build netCDF3.6.x with visual studio 2008.

Simply modify the properties of the various projects in the solution file to
get 64-bit.

As for fortran, that is a bit harder. I also have never been able to get the
ifort compiler to work from the command line in windows. NetCDF fortran does
build with ifort (on linux), so it will work if you can find the right magic.

Alternatively, you could add the fortran directory as a project to the solution
file. Actually the fortran API is built with C, not fortran. So by setting the
correct flag for ifort (which I think is pgiFortran), then you can build the C
files in the fortran directory, and get the fortran API to work.

I hope this helps. For more info see our FAQ:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: FRX-709060
Department: Support netCDF