[netCDF #KZF-231574]: question about downloading NetCDF 3.6.3

> Hi there -
>
> I had a question or two about downloading NetCDF 3.6.3 (
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-3_6_3/index.jsp ) and I'm
hoping you can help me.

> 1) Why are there so many different versions of "Binary distribution of
netcdf-3.6.3 on linux_2.6-x86_64"?  I downloaded all 7, and the 3 links to
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/binary/linux_2.6-x86_64/binary-netcdf-3.6.3_nc3_gfortran_gfortran_c++.tar.gz
(1.43 MB) all point to the same file (same md5sum).  I had a few minutes to
download and play around with all of them, but it's confusing and others might
not have the time or inclination to mess with it.  I'd recommend removing the
superfluous links, if possible.

That's a good idea. The links are produced by my automatic build/test system,
and since there are several different platforms that generate the same-named
binary distribution, it ends up being confusing for the user.

I have added the following explanation to the downloads web page:

"Since the binary releases
depend on matching Fortran and C++ compilers, each filename includes
the name of the compiler used to generate the F77, F90, and C++
APIs. For example, binary-netcdf-4.0_gfortran_gfortran_g++.tar.gz was
generated with gfortran for the F77 and F90 APIs, and g++ for the C++
API. If only one fortran compiler is listed, then only the Fortran 77
API is included in that distribution. If no C++ compiler is listed,
then that distribution contains no C++ API."

> 2) What are the differences between the gfortran_gfortran.tar.gz,
gfortran_gfortran_g++.tar.gz, gfortran_gfortran_c++1.tar.gz, and
gfortran_c++.tar.gz versions? (especially the last two)  We're installing 3.6.3
on a new 64-bit system, after using 3.6.2 on a 32-bit system, and I'm not sure
which to use, and not sure how to find out (aside from unpacking and examining
all 4 - which I'll start on a little later).  Maybe a quick description of the
differences on the downloads page?

> Thanks!
>
> -Robert
> address@hidden

If the new explanation on the web page does not answer your questions, please
let me know.

Thanks!

Ed

Ticket ID: KZF-231574