[netCDF #THR-976469]: netcdf4: make check - Unexpected result,

> Hi,
>
> I try to install netCDF4 (snapshot2008101206) with parallel features on
> our openSUSE 11.0 32-bit Linux system. HDF5 1.8.1 is successfully
> installed and checked for parallel I/O. szip 2.1 is also installed.
>
> From netCDF4, "configure" and "make" worked fine, but "make check"
> reports: 1 of 40 tests failed.

> *** Testing netcdf-4 attribute functions.
> *** testing really simple global atts...ok.
> *** testing simple global atts...ok.
> *** testing attribute data type conversions...Sorry! Unexpected result,
> tst_atts.c, line: 295
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_atts.c, line: 295
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_atts.c, line: 295
> 3 failures
> *** testing simple variable atts...ok.
> *** testing zero-length attributes... this test skipped for HDF 1.8.0
> beta1ok.
> *** testing zero-length attributes and redef...(this test skipped for
> HDF5-1.8.0 beta1ok.
> *** testing attribute deletes and renames...ok.
> *** testing attribute create order...ok.
> *** testing attribute ordering some more...ok.
> *** testing attribute ordering even more...ok.
> *** testing attributes and enddef/redef...ok.
> 3 errors detected! Sorry!
> FAIL: tst_atts

Howdy Notker!

This is a strange failure.

First let's see how big the problem is. Please go into the following
directories, each in turn, and run "make check". You must do this in the
correct order:

ncgen ncdump nc_test nctest nf_test nc_test4 cxx examples

Send me any failures.

What is failing is this:

      if (nc_get_att_float(ncid, NC_GLOBAL, ATT_DOUBLE_NAME, float_in)) ERR;
      for (i = 0; i < ATT_LEN; i++)
         if (float_in[i] != (float)double_out[i]) ERR;

The test has previously written an NC_DOUBLE attribute, and then reads the
attribute values as floats and compares the numbers.

Since this program checks all combinations of type conversions, it's
interesting that only the float->double conversion fails.

Can you run a debugger in this program and see aht the value of the float_in
and double_out arrays are?

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: THR-976469