[netCDF #PBA-273168]: netCDF-4 questions

> Dear Sir,
>
> I downloaded and built netCDF-4.0 (64-bit) recently, now have some
> questions:
>
> What is the difference between netCDF-4.0 and netCDF-4.4, is it possible
> to download netCDF-4.4?

There is no netCDF-4.4 that I know of. The most recent release is 4.0. There is
a 4.0.1 release scheduled for next months with some bugfixes and portability
enhancements. There is a 4.1 release expected early next year.

> I want to use the new netCDF-4 features, such as ubyte, ushort, int64,
> etc. So far, I can use FORTRAN 90 API to write/read a netCDF-4 data
> file, in which,  ubyte's range is 0 to 255, ushort is 0 to 65535, seems
> they are fine. But int64's range is -214783648 to 214783647, which is
> just a 32-bit integer, not a 64-bit integer. Does netCDF-4 support
> 64-bit integers?

The int64 types are 64-bit types. Why do you think they are not?

> Another problem is that, even netCDF-4 support unsigned integers such as
> ubyte, ushort, uint, etc., but the ncgen didn't support these new data
> types. I cannot use ncgen create netCDF-4 data files based on CDL files
> with data types such as ubyte, ushort. Seems ncdump can recognize these
> data types. Would you please update the ncgen to support these data types?

Yes, we are working on the ncgen tool and hope to have it fully supporting
netCDF-4 constructs by the 4.1 release, scheduled for early next year.

> Thank you very much!
> Chen

You're welcome. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: PBA-273168
Department: Support netCDF