[netCDF #KMY-638599]: Problem building netcdf-4 on SuSE 10.3 / Intel

Dave,

You also asked:

> Have you considered surveying the netcdf mailing list to find out
> what people's plans are re netcdf-4? It would be useful to know if
> people are already using it, and what for. Even better would be to
> accumulate a bunch of different test files that use the new
> features. My guess is that most people are using just the
> compression, but maybe some people are using groups as well. I'm a
> little doubtful there will be a big movement towards user-defined
> typed, unless the community standardizes on their use for vector
> quantities (which actually wouldn't be a bad idea).

We will eventually do such a survey, but for now we do have a bunch
of test files that use the new features.  We should make these available
separately as example files on the Web, but for now they are in the
netCDF-4.0 distribution, in the ncdump directory, created by various test
programs run when "make check" is invoked in that directory:

 tst_comp.nc
 tst_comp2.nc
 tst_vlen_data.nc
 tst_opaque_data.nc
 tst_enum_data.nc
 tst_group_data.nc

When you run the netCDF-4 ncdump utility on these files, you can see the
new CDL notation for netCDF-4 features.  We are making good progress on the
ncgen that reverses the process (though it has revealed a new ambiguity in
the CDL grammar that will require a minor change in the CDL notation in the
4.1 release or maybe it will get in the 4.0.1 release).

--Russ

Ticket ID: KMY-638599
Department: Support netCDF