[netCDF #GBN-103891]: nmake & msoft.mak error in installing netCDF

Hi Wenfang,

Here's more recent information about building netCDF for
Windows:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows

The current version, netCDF 3.6.3, builds on Windows with Cygwin,
and we will try to make it build in Microsoft Visual Studio
2008 sometime soon.

Building on Mac OS X is much easier, it should work "out of the box"
just using the simple configure, make check, make install instructions
for most Unix systems.

Whether you should get netCDF-3.6.3 or netCDF-4.0 depends on what you
plan to do  with netCDF.  If you only need to read data from existing
archives, netCDF-3 is probably adequate for a while, until more data
providers begin making use of netCDF-4 features.  If you have immediate
use for some of the advanced features of netCDF-4, such as parallel I/O,
multidimensional tiling, or user-defined types, then netCDF-4.0 is
required.  Note that if you configure and build netCDF-4.0 without
the --enable-netcdf4 option, you get a netCDF-3 library, the same as
you would have gotten with netCDF-3.6.3.

Building netCDF-4 with its advanced features enabled is somewhat more
trouble, because it requires that you first install the large HDF5 library.

Soon I'll have to add an FAQ with an answer about whether to get netCDF-3
or netCDF-4 ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: GBN-103891
Department: Support netCDF