[netCDF #QZG-762179]: [netcdfgroup] Compiling, NetCDF 3.6.2 with ifort

Hi Ilja,

> Just had to tupe "sudo" in front of commands.
> (that might just be helpful for newbies next time : )

Actually, you only need to use "sudo" in front of the "make install"
command.  For running "configure" or "make check", it doesn't matter.
Also, since you specified "--prefix=/home/ilja/netcdf-3.6.2" when you
invoked the configure script, even "make install" should have worked
without using "sudo", assuming you had permissions to write in that
directory.

> Here is the log <http://iljamal.googlepages.com/gotm-error> of activities i
> have done so far, with nasty Error at the end.

> export NETCDFINC=$NETCDFHOME/include
> make
> *some how didn't include netcdf.inc ... so i copied it from
> ~/netcdf/Fortran directory to ~/Gotm/include , worked :)

It would have been better to copy the installed netcdf.inc, from
$NETCDFINC/netcdf.inc, to ~/Gotm/include.  But the file you copied may
be the same, in which case it doesn't matter.

But I think you needed to copy more than just the include file
netcdf.inc.  There is also a Fortran-90 "module" file that should have
been in $NETCDFHOME/include named something like "netcdf.mod" or
"netcdf.MOD" (different compilers use different extensions) that you
should also copy to the directory /home/ilja/gotm-4.0.0/modules/IFORT

Then try building gotm again.

If that works, the problem is with the gotm build system not looking
in the right place for the netcdf.mod module file.  It should look in
the same place as for the include file, so the command to link gotm
using ifort should probably have included

  -module $NETCDFHOME/include

in its arguments.

I hope this works ...

--Russ