[netCDF #NNS-961385]: nf90_put_var slows down erratically

> Ed,
>
> Please please please disregard.  I clearly need to go home.  I had the wrong
> path to the new libraries.
>
> Yes, it compiles beautifully.  There are still hiccups in there (writes that
> take 100 times longer than average), but it is still much faster than
> netcdf-3.
>
> David

OK, but that erratic slowdown might not be a bug.

HDF5 does a lot behind the scenes, including caching. So it may be that the
hiccups are caused by the file data cache finally getting enough new data to
require a disk I/O operation.

One way to check would be to turn on a profiler and see what functions are
being called during these hiccups.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no way to control the cache size from
netcdf-4 (you can control its size from HDF5.) I do intend to add that
capability in a future release.

Please let us know if you have any further results. Are you planning on writing
this up for publication anywhere?

Thanks!

Ed

Ticket ID: NNS-961385