[netCDF #NIF-423613]: Question regarding compilation of NETCDF v4

> Dear support,
>
> First I'd like to congratulate you with the new netcdf release. I have a
> few questions and remarks considering the new netcdf 4 library.

Thanks!

> =Source=
> - Are you planning to give access read and or write to your source code
> repositories so people can check what your working on and contribute code?

Certainly not write access.

As for read access, we do release a daily snapshot with the complete source
code. We welcome contributions as patches, but we must carefully examine the
reason for the change and the code that is put into the repository.

Many of our best features were contributed by users, such as the F90 API, the
64-bit offset format, and too many more to remember. We would be happy to
discuss any proposed changes - send your ideas to
address@hidden.

> =Website=
> The link on page  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ with the
> name "netCDF 4.0 downloads page"  which refers to
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf4_0 is broken.

Thanks, I've fixed that.

> =Windows=
>
> - I noticed that the documentation about building for windows on your
> website references the 3.6.1 version instead of the 4.0 version:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Building-on-Windows.html

Yep. Windows is lagging behind, due to the large, large, large amount of effort
absorbed by Windows compared to any other platform.

> - I'd like to be able to build the windows library myself rather than
> using prebuilt binaries. The 4.0 version includes a visual studio .net
> (2003) project file.

Yes.

> I tried using the solution file together with the intel fortran 10.1
> compiler and the microsoft c++ compiler. I had to add some extra
> precompile statements to make it work. This was mainly due to windows
> missing some standard c header files.  I attached a diff file with the
> changes I applied to make it work. Hope this helps.

Thanks, but what version of netCDF is this for?

> - The solution file doesnt contain any references to the new directories
> with the hdf bindings. It also doesn't contain any of the fortran
> bindings. Are you supporting the netcdf with --enable-netcdf4 under the
> visual studio environment?

Not yet, but hopefully sometime in 2008!

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: NIF-423613
Department: Support netCDF