[netCDF #CTW-339617]: netcdf version check

Wei,

> ... ncdump -version sounds promising, but when I do it, I do not get
> any output. Any comment?

You are probably using a version of ncdump that did not have the feature of
printing the library version as it's last line in the usage message it
produces.  Actually "ncdump --version" works with netCDF-3.6.1 or later, but
it looks like "netcdf -version" segfaults in 3.6.1 and works OK in 3.6.2 or
later.

You might like a macro with the package version number defined in the
include files netcdf.inc or netcdf.h.  But I don't think that would be
useful, because the same package version could be used to install a
library that did not support HDF5 format files or even 64-bit offset
files if it was used on an old system without large file support.

If you can determine at compile time whether the parameter
nf_format_64bit is defined in netcdf.inc, I think you could reasonably
conclude that the 64-bit-offset format is supposed to be supported.
But if our configure script determines large file offsets are not
available in the development environment when the netCDF library is
built, that parameter will still be defined.  I guess that's what you
were asking about in your original email.

--Russ

Ticket ID: CTW-339617
Department: Support netCDF