[netCDF #GAW-821062]: netcdf on Mac OS X

Kara,

If you want to install from fink, you should make sure you get both
the appropriate netcdf package and also the shlibs package ffor the
shared library.  For example, use either

  fink install  netcdf-gfortran netcdf-gfortran-shlibs

or

  fink install  netcdf-g95 netcdf-g95-shlibs

and then link with the appropriate compiler, specifying both the C
library and Fortran library on the link line, as in

  ... -L/sw/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf

If that doesn't work, it's possible you have a version of gfortran (or
g95) different from the version used to build the fink package, and
that difference may be causing a problem.  In particular, I think
gfortran changed their convention for calling C functions from Fortran
at some point, so using versions on different sides of that change
would cause a problem similar to what you are seeing.

You shouldn't expect to be able to use g95 to link with gfortran
libraries on Mac OS X, as far as I know, but if you get that to work,
I'd be interested.  I suspect the two compilers use different run-time
support.

If none of that helps, try building from our latest 3.6.3-beta rather
than from the 3.6.2 release, as the latest beta builds more easily
with gfortran.  You can get it from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.gz

--Russ

Ticket ID: GAW-821062
Department: Support netCDF