[netCDF #AGE-229844]: netCDF-4 problems

> Hi Ed,
>
> Thanks for the information. CDO - Climate Data Operators is a powerful tool
> to process and analyze climate model and forecast data in netCDF and GRIB
> format:
>
> http://www.mpimet.mpg.de/cdo
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html#CDO
>
> The CDO extension to netCDF-4 classic  was very simple. A little bit
> inconvinient is
> the linking of all the libraries with configure (autoconf/automake):
>
> ./configure --with-netcdf=/X/netcdf-4.0 LIBS="-L/X/hdf5-1.8.0/lib
> -lhdf5_hl -lhdf5 -lz -lm -L/X/szip-2.1/lib -lsz"
>
> This is the simplest variant for the CDO configuration with netCDF-4.
> It's not really a problem for me but I'm sure it will be a problem for
> some CDO users.
> I tried the OPeNDAP/netCDF version some years ago and it was much more
> simpler
> as far as I remember.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Uwe

Thanks Uwe!

I don't think there is any easy way to get rid of the linker arguments when
linking with netcdf-4. After all, we are using all those libraries, and the
power of netCDF-4 comes from using these already existing libraries, instead of
trying to build all of that functionality from scratch.

But I have added a section to the Install manual about how to use netCDF-4, to
help other users with this problem.

Thanks for the comments!

Ed

Ticket ID: AGE-229844