[netCDF #HQY-107548]: NetCDF : 1 error with make check

> Dear Sir,
>
> I have installed NetCDF version 3.6.2 under Cygwin (latest version at
> april 2008),
> I have Windows XP professional, service pack 2
>
> I unzipped the file netcdf.tar.gz with the tar command under cygwin.
> Then I did ./configure, make, make install and make check.
>
> Here is the error I get :
>
> $ make check
> Making check in fortran
> make[1]: Entering directory `/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.2/fortran'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.2/fortran'
> Making check in libsrc
> make[1]: Entering directory `/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.2/libsrc'
> make  t_nc.exe
> make[2]: Entering directory `/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.2/libsrc'
> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link cc  -g -O2   -o t_nc.exe
> t_nc-t_nc.o
> bnetcdf.la
> libtool: link: cc -g -O2 -o t_nc.exe t_nc-t_nc.o  ./.libs/libnetcdf.a
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.2/libsrc'
> make  check-TESTS
> make[2]: Entering directory `/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.2/libsrc'
> trying again
> dimrename: IXX
> nc_close ret = 0
>
> *** testing length of classic file
> FAIL: tst_lengths.sh
> 1 of 6 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.2/ncdump'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.2/ncdump'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> Could you help me identify what is wrong in the installation ?
> My intention is to use NetCDF with the LibRadtran library
> http://www.libradtran.org/
> (Netcdf is required to compile all components of this library)
>
> Thank you for your support,
> Best regards,
>
> Jerome Caron
> Jerome CARON
> Optical engineer, EOP-PIO,
> ESA-ESTEC, Keplerlaan 1,
> 2200 AG Noordwijk
> Netherlands
> Tel : +31 (0)71 565 8525

Howdy Jerome!

The test which is failing is one that was recently added to check the lengths
of netcdf files. That is, there was a little bug concerning some extra padding
at the end of very small netcdf files, and the test was added to check the
fix.

However this is a minor issue, and I would suggest that you can do a "make
install" and continue to work with netCDF while we work this out.

Funny thing is, this test passes on my cygwin builds. You should compare your
config.log file to the one here, and see if there is anything different about
your system:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/snapshot/DUDLEY_CYGWIN_NT-5.1_netcdf-3.6.2-snapshot2008041020_2008-04-10-20-09.txt

You could also run the script with the bash debug option, to see what is
happening. Go to the ncdump directory and run:
bash -x ./tst_lengths.sh

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: HQY-107548