[Support #UZA-204445]: NetCDF installation

Hi Thomas,

We have a Mac OS X 10.5.1 (Intel Core Duo) platform for testing, but
unfortunately, we do not have an Absoft Fortran compiler installed on
it, so we cannot reproduce the problem you see.  With gfortran on
Mac OS X, netCDF 3.6.2 installed and tested OK:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/3_6_2/sid_Darwin_netcdf-3.6.2_2007-03-05-10-44.txt

We have reports from another user who successfully built netCDF with
Absoft Fortran Pro 10 by using the environment variable settings

  FC=/Applications/Absoft10/bin/f90
  CPPFLAGS=-DpgiFortran
  F77=/Applications/Absoft10/bin/f90
  FFLAGS=-YEXT_NAMES=LCS -s -YEXT_SFX=_
  FCFLAGS=-YEXT_NAMES=LCS -s -YEXT_SFX=_
  FCFLAGS_F90=-YEXT_NAMES=LCS -s -YEXT_SFX=_

For a different successful build using Absoft on Mac OS X, see:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html#absoft

> - Does this have to end without "Exit"?
> - How can I avoid that?
> - Could you SSH to my machine to resolve the matter?

The tests run with "make check" typically do not exit when the first
failure is encountered, but instead run a complete set of tests to
report on each failure encountered in the set.  I'm not sure whether
there is any easy way to change that.

> 3) Fortran code in user's folder: able to compile but unable to link.
>
> - Suggestions?

If you can successfully run the "make install" part of the
installation, linking Fortran programs is straightforward, such
as

  f90 -M/usr/local/include prog.f90 -L/usr/local/lib -lnetcdf -o prog

where "-M" identifies where the netcdf.mod file is installed and
different compilers specify this in different ways.

--Russ

Ticket ID: UZA-204445
Department: Support netCDF