Re: Netcdf4 Compound types and Examples

Roy,

> Okay guys, here is the "example" we are working on.  A long time ago
> we put the  World Ocean Database and the GTSPP data, all subsurface
> obs that we have or get, into the old HDF-EOS point structure. The
> way we had it structured was that each file was a 10-degree square
> with a name that contained the box number as in COADS.  The HDF-EOS
> point structure had levels that made what was a series of flat tables
> look like a hierarchy by having a link field.  So level 0 data would
> be all the box 2's  in the box 10, and the level 1 data would be the
> data with the box2 number as the link field.  This allowed you to
> search for all the data in a box2 efficiently
>
> A downside was that the number of rows in the field had to be equal
> to the sum total of depths at which there were observations.    This
> meant that there is a huge amount of empty space.

I understand the COADS box numbers for 10 degree or two degree boxes,
but I don't understand what you're saying about levels and link fields.
Is there a simpler or more detailed description of this data structure
somewhere that I could study?  I'd like to understand the requirements
and whether netCDF-4 could eliminate the wasted space while preserving
fast access.