Re: Netcdf4 Compound types and Examples

Any example you could contribute would be most welcome. They need to
run without command line arguments, and return a 0 when everything
runs correctly...

Thanks!

Ed

-- Ed Hartnett -- address@hidden

Okay guys, here is the "example" we are working on. A long time ago we put the World Ocean Database and the GTSPP data, all subsurface obs that we have or get, into the old HDF-EOS point structure. The way we had it structured was that each file was a 10-degree square with a name that contained the box number as in COADS. The HDF-EOS point structure had levels that made what was a series of flat tables look like a hierarchy by having a link field. So level 0 data would be all the box 2's in the box 10, and the level 1 data would be the data with the box2 number as the link field. This allowed you to search for all the data in a box2 efficiently

A downside was that the number of rows in the field had to be equal to the sum total of depths at which there were observations. This meant that there is a huge amount of empty space. So how might we improve on this - why netcdf4! We use vlen's to deal with the varying number of depths and a compound data type to combine together the info. Groups and (sub)-Groups provide the same structure that was "emulated" in the point structure. Or at least that was what we thought would be a good design given netcdf4's features, but that is what prompted my email about examples and design - there may well be better ways of doing this.

However, unless I miraculously find both money and a good C programmer, or get Fortran wrappers to work, it will be sometime before it happens.

BTW, at one point I used the hdf4tohdf5 program to convert these files to HDF5, so they can be read using that library. I don't know that the conversion worked that cleanly to use with the HDF-EOS5 library, but it should be possible to both read and write using the libs that are a part of Netcdf4. I actually had a few days to begin to work on this, hence the series of emails.

-Roy

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn