[netCDF #ZUA-489202]: build failure with netcdf4-beta (VERSION =

> Hi
> I have problems configuring netcdf4.  I am using Mandriva Linux 2008 on a
> 64-bit machine.  I am running the command:
>
> ./configure -enable-64bit --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=$HDF5DIR
>
> where HDFDIR is:
> /opt/hdf5-1.8.0-beta4/
>
> (following instructions here
> http://netcdf4-python.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/netCDF4-module.html)

Howdy!

Thanks for using the netCDF-4.0 beta release! Since you are reading
documentation on the netCDF-4 python site, I assume you are using the python
module.

NetCDF-4 is changing along with HDF5, and the releases of both must be
synchronized. In fact, the HDF5 API changed again just last week, and the
netCDF-4 release changed to work with it.

This will all be more stable with HDF5-1.8.0 and NetCDF-4.0 are out of beta
release.

Go to the netCDF-4 snapshot release page and get the latest netCDF-4 snapshot,
and the HDF5 release from that page (with is a HDF5 snapshot made since the
HDF5 1.8.0-beta4 release).

The netCDF-4 snapshot page always contains the HDF5 distribution that it works
with:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/snapshot/netcdf-4

(You must register with the Unidata web site to get to this page).

> configure: error: Can't find the hdf5 header and/or library. Specify the
> HDF5 prefix with the --with-hdf5 option to configure, or set environment
> variable HDF5DIR.

This config error occurs whenever there is a problem with linking to HDF5. See
the config.log file for the error.

When you built HDF5, did you use the --with-zlib= option to specify a location
for the zlib library? This is required for netCDF-4 to work.

Get the latest netCDF-4 snapshot, and the HDF5 release on the netCDF-4 snapshot
page, and follow the instructions here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-install/Quick-Instructions.html

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you!

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: ZUA-489202
Department: Support netCDF