[Support #TZL-284586]: Ticket ID: BME-322830 Fwd: [GISS csr #7952]

> Ed, i would rather install netcdf 3.6.2 if it can handle 10GB files. i
> had a problem using 3.6.2 on an old IRIX machine 3 months ago and i
> was told by Unidata to try Beta4. do you recommend using 3.6.2 on a
> Mac? i don't need HDF or Zlib or any of that extra stuff- just the
> ability to handle large files.

Ah, now I see...

Well, it is true that netCDF-4.0 allows you to blow away previous limits on
sizes of things. However, this does require that you install zlib and HDF5,
because the way these limits are blown away is by writing the data as a HDF5
file behind the scenes. HDF5 has a binary format which is not as limited in the
size of datasets (variables).

There are some pages in the documentation that you probably have already read
which describe the precise limits of the classic and 64-bit offset format:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf/Large-File-Support.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf/NetCDF-Classic-Format-Limitations.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf/NetCDF-64-bit-Offset-Format-Limitations.html

10 GB files are no problem, it is the size of variables within the file which
are the problem. I assume you have already determined that your data cannot fit
within these limits. (If your data *can* then you should go with netCDF
3.6.2).

> in any case, I tried installing 3.6.2 yesterday and it failed.

NetCDF 3.6.2 is very portable and is known to compile on the Macintosh, but as
Russ said, we don't yet have the latest release of the Mac OS.

However, if your files won't fit into the classic or 64-bit offset formats,
then 3.6.2 will not help. You will need to install zlib, hdf5, and netCDF-4.

Let me know which one you want to go forward with. If 3.6.2 doesn't build, send
me the output of configure and make check, and the config.log file, and we'll
see what went wrong...

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: TZL-284586