[netCDF #RVV-140469]: Building NetCDF libraries (C/C++)

> Full Name: Nicholas Yue
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 3.6.2
> Operating System: Cross platform
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hi,
>
> I have been using NetCDF since 1997.
>
> Building on various platform have occasionally been spotty.
>
> I can understand that UniData have lots to do so I'd like to make a
suggestion and volunteer my time.

./configure/MS-proj/solutions file to CMake [http://www.cmake.org/]

> Without going into too much details of CMake, let's just say that it
streamline all the build into one configuration file and generating all the
required Makefiles/MS-Proj/Solution/XCode files as required on different
platform.

> It could make your maintenance load lighter.
>
> If you are not convinced of the savings, I am happy to submit a prototype
CMake configuration file for NetCDF.

Howdy Nicholas Yue!

I would very much welcome such a prototype, and we could look at it very
closely to see what it is like, and also how well it does on windows.

We have looked and CMake, and like what we see, but resources are limited, as
you have guessed.

However there is a long and successful history of user-contributed changes to
the netCDF code base! We very much welcome such contributions. You can send
them to the support email address, which will get them directly to the netCDF
programming team.

I look forward to seeing what CMake can do.

Thanks, and keep on netCDFing!

Ed

Ticket ID: RVV-140469
Department: Support netCDF